Sunday, October 2, 2011

Welcome and first sewing project

Hi all!  I've decided to start a blog to capture the facets of my life. Thank you for coming to read and I hope you enjoy or get some enjoyment out of my nonsense!

I recently bought a sewing machine and have been enjoying fixing up the pile of ripped clothes, but wanted to try creating something new!  I saw this apron from Anthropologie online - and wanted to replicate it.



After looking around I found a pattern from Butterick which was similar enough to meet what I loved about the Anthropologie apron with the cut in sides and flounced skirt.

Since this is my first pattern project, I wanted to share a two of the lessons I have learned so far in the process of making this.  I'll share the final product as I complete it!
  • When working with a pattern, first cut out the pattern pieces wider than the pattern edge.  This means that when you lay out the pattern on your fabric, you can then have some edge to work with to make a second cut on the pattern edge through the fabric.

Leave edges for cutting fabric as shown to right.
  • "Narrow hem" means a doubled over fabric with a stitch fairly close to the edge.  Thanks to many internet searches, I found that the easiest way to do this was to do two iron-overs with a stitch along the edge each time.  The best tutorial I found was by Mary at CraftStylish.  Thanks Mary!  My steps are below.
Mark fabric at a little more than 3/8"

Fold and iron so edge hits marks (approximately, this is a very small fold!)

Sew close to edge. Cut along sew line as close as you can make a consistent line

Fold over sew line and iron again (this should get you close to 5/8").  Then sew close to edge, and you're done!  (The top sew line was the first one, but only the bottom sew line shows on the front.)


I'm excited about the final product, and will share soon!

3 comments:

  1. Great Content here some tips regarding HP Printer, Want to setup HP OfficeJet Pro? It is very simple that you can complete it in a few simple steps. After completing the hardware setup, connect the printer to the network.After that, all you have to do is navigate to 123.hp.com/ojpro6970 and download the software.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Content here some tips regarding HP Printer, To access the various features of this printer from your Windows 10 computer, you have to install the compatible drivers for it on your computer For details Navigate to www.123.hp.com to install the driver for windows.

    ReplyDelete