Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 - A new year for a new view

Hi everyone!  Wow - my last post was on Easter of 2012.  A lot has happened since then, and I lost track of my blog as things got hectic and I never came back to it.  I want that to change in 2013 - I want this blog to track my progress as I spend my time more thoughtfully.

I have to say I lost my way a bit in 2012.  I got a new job, but then I wasn't sure where I was going and what I wanted out of life.  I'm still figuring it out, and to help me with that I did a bit of a traditional new year resolution exercise to help me think it through.  I wanted to post some of what I came up with so I could be accountable for it.

I used a modified version of Lara Casey's "Making Things Happen in 2013" that I saw Em using (http://www.emformarvelous.com/).  I didn't have it in me to go through all the steps, but I used Lara's guidance as a way to channel some of what I had mixing around in my head.

I used this for my personal and professional life, but I am only going to share my personal ones here (and I have edited out some of the more personal items).


What worked in 2012?
  • Spending time at night talking to Derek about our days and things that matter
  • Running outdoors in the woods more often to enjoy nature
  • Biking more often, and biking to work
  • Seeing family more often and taking care of family needs
  • Blogging and crafting to show myself that I can create things that are of value to me and others
  • Spending more time with Emmy (http://blogstarpinsandwins.blogspot.com/)
  • Taking baths and reading for relaxation time
  • Cuddling and enjoying time with Luna (our cat)
  • Having Martha (my aunt) visit and stay with us
  • Gardening to have our own fresh veggies
  • Decorating the house further (craft room, bedroom, living room, wall art)
  • Trying new cooking and baking recipes.  Becoming more exploratory in the kitchen.
  • Writing down a meal plan for the week so I can have things ready for good dinners each night.  This also allowed pre-planned "date nights" out.
  • Hosting Thanksgiving for our families
  • Motorcycle rides with Derek
  • Our Acadia trip with Lauren and Jorge was a nice break and a good way to spend time with close friends
  • A shared calendar with Derek made our scheduling easier to communicate and discuss
  • Shopping online for good deals more often - being more discerning about the clothes I buy to find ones I will keep for longer
  • Vacation to New Jersey with Derek was nice.  Drivable location, new place to discover, and enjoyable time together.
  • Continuing to participate in and host book clubs to spend some quality time with girls


What didn't work in 2012?
  • Stopped blogging mid-year.  Wasn't getting much response on the blog and wasn't sure anyone was reading it, and I lost motivation.
  • Lost my way as I started a new job.  Wasn't sure what I wanted out of life and my future.
  • Tried weight loss twice during the year.  Lost 10- 15 lbs each time, and then fell off the wagon and gained it back.
  • Spent too much time in front of the TV or computer (doing things that did not further me in any way)
  • Didn't spend enough time with close friends
  • Relied too much on my husband to come up with things for us to do, hobbies, or projects.  I did not contribute back my half.
  • Didn't travel as much as I would have liked
  • Really fell into a candy/junk food trap - really treated these as if I was addicted
  • Didn't schedule and do a long weekend motorcycle trip as we had planned
  • Not stopping to listen to Derek because I was too worried about getting something that didn't matter done


What fires me up?
  • Creating things that make me smile and I want to share with the world
  • Spending quality time with my husband doing something different that pulls us out of our daily humdrum
  • Learning and trying new recipes that we can add to our regular menu lists
  • Spending time with friends
  • Spending time outdoors doing some form of exercise
  • Traveling to see new places and experience new things
  • Keeping a clean and beautiful home


What is my vision?
I want to become better at spending my time doing things that matter to me.  I fell into a patter of just letting life happen to me rather than doing things I think are important.  I need to be a better listener, and slow down to do so.  I want to apply my creativity to come up with things that would be new and adventurous for myself or both my husband and I.  I will research things deeper in my free time and apply myself to goals I set rather than wasting time watching TV or playing games that do not further my intellectual or spiritual goals.


What will I do in the next 6 months to head towards this vision?
  • I will return to blogging as a way to track my work on being more effective with my time
  • I will investigate and try at least 5 new "hobbies" either alone or with Derek
  • I will stop what I am doing and listen when Derek talks to me
  • I will find a charity or group that I can be part of to help in a cause greater than us
  • I will focus on spending time I was wasting on better preparing food that will help me maintain a healthy lifestyle

2 comments:

  1. Cat,

    I love it that you've shared this. It helps me better understand what's going on with you -- to know what's important to you and what you're struggling with. I am also glad to know that my visit with you was one of the things that worked in 2012. I agree and hope we can do more of it in 2013. xxoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That for commenting Mert! Glad it helped you see into what I am thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete