Thursday, December 29, 2011

Hot plate pad

One of the other Christmas gifts that I made this year was hot plate pads, as shown below.


Each hot pad had the person's name hand embroidered onto it to give it a personal touch.  I used cotton cloth for the front side with embroidery.  I traced out the person's name in my semi-cursive handwriting, and embroidered along my tracing.  On the back I used heat-resistant cloth that I stitched with about 1 1/8" squares on a diagonal.   Inside was 2 - 3 layers of heat-resistant fill (called Insul-Bright) and batting, that I had sewn with the silver heat-resistant backing to keep it from bunching up.


I then used a red bias tape to close the edges in and create a nice loop to hang the heat pad from.

These ended up being trickier than I expected, it was hard getting the bias tape to stay in the right place with all the layers of fabric.  The end product ended up being worth it though!  A nice, personalized, hand-made gift to loved ones says volumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment